Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Recently.

It was really hot today. According to my car, 96 degrees (which is about 36 degrees for the Canadians). It's supposed to be in the 90's all week. I have to give my trees extra water.
We've been watering them everyday because one of our trees (we have 2), in particular, has special needs. We had one planted in the back initially and then they recently came along and planted one in the front of everyone's house. But, as the ground is pretty much solid rock, they didn't want to put a whole lot of effort into digging a hole and so they pretty much just planted it on top of the ground and then covered it in mulch...which is good for about the first week. So, the tree is a little more unstable, being not completely in the ground. It needs extra help for awhile.
We put a rubber mulch mat on top of both of them, which was a little expensive, compared to regular mulch, but it is doing a good job of protecting the exposed roots and it really keeps the water from evaporating when it gets hot. Our trees are looking pretty much better than anyones now. We feel proud of them.

We also have a (volunteer) job of watering my neighbors tree. (Also planted on top of the ground). He has a house here, but he only lives in it 2-3 days per month. He lives in California most of the time. So, he asked us to take care of his trees for him. We had to give his tree a rubber mulch mat too, because when I watered, all the mulch just came off and the roots became exposed. We figured it would not do too well like that. I'd hate to be blamed for the death of his tree.

I have a lot more things that I want to write about, but I have had so much going on recently, I don't have as much time. This week in particular I have something to worry about almost everyday.

1 comments:

Renee said...

Hi Lindsay,

Thanks for checking out my channel and blog. I can't wait to see your creative stuff. I started out doing traditional stained glass but after I had my daughter it got kinda dangerous having lead and solder around so I worked on an alternative which is glass on glass mosaics, she even does it with me from time to time!

Anyways,

Stay in touch!!!

Renee