Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Art + History

This past weekend, I was excited to be able to be able to take advantage of the opprotunity to enjoy two of my favorite things all at once: art and history.
Fun, fun fun. And, not only any art and history, but European Medieval art and history, mostly based around its relationship to Christianity in that time period. Now, what could be more interesting than that? :)
The Frist Center for the Visual Arts here in Nashville is hosting an exhibition of Medieval Treasures from the Cleveland Museum of Art from February 13th to June 7th. I went on the 13th because there was a lecture I wanted to attend that night.

One of the pieces that had on exhibit that I found particularly interesting was a prayer book or book of hours that belonged to Isabella the Catholic, Queen of Spain.(She was the sponser of Christopher Columbus's exploration of the New World.) A book of hours was a personal and portable book for devotion and prayer and recitation of psalms.
I was reading a book about Juana la Loca, who was the daughter of Isabella, during this time, so it made it particularly appealing.

I also saw a floor mosaic from the Roman Empire that I recognized from seeing before in one of the books I read on mosaic art. So, that was kind of fun to then see it in "real life."

So, yep, if you are in the area, it is definitely recommended.

0 comments: