Saturday, February 28, 2009

A Non-Cooking, Crazy Couponer.

I think cooking is a huge waste of time. I guess it's partially because I don't care about food as much as the average person and partially because being an artistic person if I'm going to create something, I like to be able to see it and enjoy after. With food, particularily cooking food, it's like you spend all that time making it and then it's just gone!
Also, I don't understand why everyone has such a problem with the fact that I don't have any desire to cook. I mean, if everyone was good at cooking, that would kind of steal the thunder of the people who actually do have that talent.

So, my kind of cooking is this "recipe" for Chicken and Dumplings from the Pillsbury website. I happen to have a lot of Pillsbury products right now, because at Publix there was some good sales on the stuff recently. Then with using coupons and taking advantage of rebates, there was the opportunity to make $6.50 to bring ten cans of biscuits home.
So, I went to their website to find a way to use some of these and found that by dropping pieces of frozen biscuits into a can of soup, you can make quite tasty dumplings.
I have a memory that once my grandma made dumplings for me when I was about four years old and I enjoyed it very much, for some reason. I asked many times for dumplings after that, but never really got them. I guess it was not popular with any one else in my house. Now I can make them myself by just thawing out a biscuit! hehehe.

And speaking of savings and coupons: maybe I don't write as much on here because I spend too much time looking for the deals. No, just kidding. Seriously though, since I started using coupons (like a crazy person) in the past few months, I cannot believe the amount of money I have saved. I get many of the groceries I buy for pennies or free or even make money on them. If I would have known how it all worked and how much I could save before, I would have been clipping coupons long ago. I hate to think of how much money we could have saved if I would have known all the things I know now.

Like tonight, when we were having dinner I pointed out that almost everything we had was free or nearly free. Pasta was about $0.20 or $0.30. Biscuits were free (money maker). We had those Green Giant steamer vegetables that are normally about $2.99 and I got for $0.09. The butter was free. The tin foil was free. The Pam we used on the tin foil was free.

It always tastes better when it's free.

0 comments: