Monday, April 28, 2008

$20 + $13.75....or nothing....

Ok, so awhile back I wrote about how I got a parking ticket for parking in front of my house after 1:00 am. My ticket is due by May 1st and I haven't paid yet. I have been waiting until the last minute, because of course, I don't think it's very cool to have to pay a ticket for parking in front of your house.
However, the last few days I was thinking about possibly going to court and seeing if I could get it taken away and maybe just get them to give me a warning instead. But, I don't know that I really have a good argument, other than this is an unfinished street, has houses still under construction and there is really nobody driving down it in the middle of the night. So, me leaving my car on the street an extra hour isn't hurting anything.
But, the city law is no cars on the street between 1-5:00 am. So, then, does any of that matter? Maybe not.
I just called to find out about going to court and they said that if I'm "found guilty" (doesn't that just sound so severe for a parking ticket?) which may likely be the case, I will have to pay an extra $13.75 in court fees. So that will be on top of the $20, making it a total of $33.75 for the stupid parking ticket. If they let it go, it will be nothing, but I don't know if it is worth the risk. Any opinions?

1 comments:

Krista said...

Could you, as a new resident, beg ignorance? Sometimes that helps ...