Saturday, January 19, 2008

The Cost of Not Having a Headache

So, unfortunately, our co-pay for prescriptions went up at the beginning of this year. We used to pay $10 for generic, $20 for preferred brands, and $30 for non-preferred brands. We thought the prices were going to be increasing $10 each, but as it turns out, each has doubled. I didn't realize this until I ordered a refill for my migraine medicine the other day and saw it came to $60, instead of the usual $30.
This is for a 3 month supply, however, so at least you get a decent amount. The crazy part is, although I pay $60 for my migraine medicine, on top of that my insurance still pays $446.00! So, thats over $500 for 90 little pills. Which means, they cost approximately $5.62 each. Now that is crazy. This is the cost of preventing daily headaches. I am very upset that my co-pay has doubled, but thank goodness we have decent insurance. How would someone possibly afford it other wise? The average person couldn't. You just live with your migraines or whatever else is wrong with you I guess...If you can live with them, without your $500 medicine.

0 comments: